Purpose wanted to engage football fans on Facebook and on Instagram, focusing on young men, in order to make them aware of the negative consequences of hate speech, equip them with knowledge to spot and report it, and drive them to take action against it.
Hate speech is a negative state and feelings resulting from adopting irrational thoughts and attitudes that are hostile and despised of individuals, groups, or ideas. The speech does not depend on harming social media users but extends to anger and physical violence. Hate speech spreads through several means, the most popular now is social media, and it takes many forms, textual and graphic, in the form of memes or gifs.
Well known footballers, trainers, clubs, celebrities and influencers come together to share messages and videos showing real stories of the harm caused by hate speech and to call on fans to #reporthatespeech when they see it online.
- identify and target football fans, primarily young men, who are active social media users
- Design a platform-based strategy to drive football fans to report hate speech through in-platform functionalities
- Leverage trusted messengers and open and closed social media groups to reach and engage football fans online, initially to raise awareness of the issue and subsequently to mobilise them to report hate speech on relevant social media platforms
- Identify and test a range of messages to engage our audience on social media
- Deliver messages in a phased approach, starting with raising awareness and then mobilising the audience to take on-platform action
Engaging the audience
The campaign reached more than 13 million people and was watched for almost 20 thousand hours
The campaign drove 98% positive sentiment
Driving Behavior Impact
The campaign generated a behavioral change, we recorded +4.1% more reports on hate speech